Antwort: matcher score calculation

Jack Leunissen Jack.Leunissen at cmbi.kun.nl
Thu Apr 24 19:10:52 UTC 2003

What is even more surprising is that the match U->C is different
from C->U. The first receives no 'dot' in the alignment, the latter
does. Interesting...

Jack A.M. Leunissen, Ph.D.
Dept. Genome Informatics
Wageningen University
6703 HA Wageningen, NL

.html) states that "Any two residues or bases are defined as similar when
they have positive comparisons (as defined by the comparison matrix being
used in the alignment algorithm)." and a bit further "Note that the sum of
identical and similar positions is greater than 100%. This is because the
count of similar positions includes the count of identical positions; if
residues are identical, they must also be similar." Therefor I would think
#similar must always be >= #identical. Lastly, when I calculate the score
manually, I get 16x5-2x4=72 (in EDNAFULL, 5 is used for all non-ambiguous
matches, -4 for all non-ambiguous mis-matches) while matcher calculates the
score to be 61.

Greetings,

Jan.