Seqret and GIs

Richard Cote richard at seqbio.com
Tue Mar 26 19:18:40 UTC 2002

Hello.

Is there a way to retrieve entries from genbank flatfiles and blast
formatted databases based on the GI using seqret? A typical entry in my
emboss.defaults file is

DB blastnr [
    type: P
    method: blast
    format: ncbi
    dir: /databases/blast/
    file: "nr"
    release: "1"
    comment: "BLAST nr database"
]

If I use seqret blastnr:NP_005047.1 (a typical AC entry), it will return
a fasta file without a problem. If I use seqret blastnr:4826968 (the GI
corresponding to the same AC as above), it complains that it cannot find
the entry...

The reason why I need to access records through their GI and not their
AC is that the standalone www blast server only returns a GI in the html
output and not a AC.

Can anyone help?

Thank you,
Rc

Richard Cote, M.Sc.                     richard at seqbio.com
Senior Bioinformatician              http://www.seqbio.com
Sequence Bioinformatics                     1-877-SEQUENCE
1410 Stanley St. Suite 704              (tel) 514-842-5356
Montreal, QC  H3A 1P8                   (fax) 514-842-7230