primer3 and eprimer3

Peter Rice peter.rice at uk.lionbioscience.com
Thu Mar 14 10:45:26 UTC 2002

Peter Slickers wrote:

> After installing EMBOSS-2.3.1 I found the
> applications 'primer3' and 'eprimer3'.
> 'primer3' seems to be new with respect to
> my previous installation.
>
> Now I'm wondering what is the difference
> between these two programs.
>
> Their descriptions in 'doc/programs/html'
> are nearly identical, only the names
> 'primer3' and 'eprimer3' are interchanged.

primer3 was the old name. eprimer3 is the new name, to avoid a possible
clash with sites that install primer3_core as "primer3".

eprimer3 is a front-end to primer 3.0.9 and replaces the old "prima"
program from early EMBOSS releases.

There is a small problem with the documentation files primer3.html and
primer3.txt which are still being installed. This will be corrected in a
future release.