emboss for mac os x

Alex Brown abrown at nimr.mrc.ac.uk
Wed Dec 11 09:27:39 UTC 2002

'morning Pradeep.

I am also a bit of unix grasshopper, but I managed to install EMBOSS on
my G4 under Darwin. There is great set of instructions from a William
Van Etten of the Blackstone Tecnology Group at the following web site:

http://gnu-darwin.sourceforge.net/gdc/emboss.txt

This got me up and running. You will need to install X-windows - have a
look at XDarwin (http://www.xdarwin.org/) or XFree86
(http://www.xfree86.org/).

By the way - there are some good books on unix and Macs in the O'Reilly
series, aimed at us novices. They are well worth having a look at. You
could also look at the gnu-Darwin pages (http://gnu-
darwin.sourceforge.net/) which has loads of unix soteware (scientific
and other) which is quite easy to install. Once you've installed X
Windows and EMBOSS, you'll get the hang of things.

Good luck,

Alex Brown
MRC-T, London