emboss for mac os x

pradeep das pdas at caltech.edu
Wed Dec 11 04:27:45 UTC 2002

hi all,
i'm an almost complete unix dummy. i've tried a few times to set up an
emboss installation on my powerbook, but have never succeded. i'm happy
using the command line, though, so i don't need to know how to set up
jemboss and such.

each time i've tried, i go through the compilation process described in the
readme file (". /configure" followed by "make install"), but then i have no
idea what to do next. actually, i just tried this again and this time, the
'make install' didn't complete - gave me errors.

should i move the compiled files to a particular directory? do i need to
edit the makefile (or whatever) and speficy the target directory before
compiling?

i'm a serious gcg addict (much prefer it to macvector and other programs
like that) and i'm going to lose telnet (and thereby gcg) access at my old
university pretty soon. hence the desperation!

i would appreciate any help in the matter.

thanks,
pradeep

p.s. if i can get it to work, i'd be more than happy to help write a thorugh
installation guide for macs.