tfscan blues

David Martin dmartin at bioinformatics.msiwtb.dundee.ac.uk
Thu Jul 26 07:55:54 UTC 2001

On Wed, 25 Jul 2001, Charles Plessy wrote:

> Le Mercredi 25 Juillet 2001 20:31, Guy Bottu a écrit :
> > from : BEN
> >
> > 	Dear colleagues,
> >
> > I had already posted this question before, but nobody had replied. The
> > problem is that the value of the program tfscan is decreasing, since we
> > cannot get updates of TRANSFAC anymore, unless we pay a licence, and I
> > wonder whether at all EMBnet Nodes have the right to give access to their
> > users.
> > For info, see  http://www.biobase.de/academia.html
> > Anybody a comment ?
>
> I have a related question : do you think that it would be possible to build
> fake transfac databases from a simple file?
> Currently I'm adding into an array (in the GCG findpattern format) any
> binding site of my interest that i find in the litterature. (with a name and
> a reference)
> The goal would be to use existing programs to do searches within a set of
> home-selected transcription factors.

It woul dbe nice to have a public front end for such a database so that
submissions could be sent to a curator. Then we can return the information
to the public domain (all literature referenced of course so we cannot be
accused of stealing TRANSFAC).

..d

David Martin PhD
Bioinformatics Scientific Officer