database access

Peter Rice peter.rice at uk.lionbioscience.com
Mon Apr 23 08:44:36 UTC 2001

ableasby at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk wrote:

> www.ca.embnet.org is designed to provide sequences to everybody this
> way. Like most EMBnet (European Molecular Biology network) sites it
> has an SRS server. The Canadian node is the only one I know that
> provides GenBank this way, most of us provide EMBL instead.
> You can play interactively with the Canadian server directly by using:
>   http://www.ca.embnet.org/srs6.1/
> It should then become clear what the DB entry is doing.

There are a few others, all up to date:

Denmark http://www.dk.embnet.org/srs6/
Finland http://srs.csc.fi:8002/srs6/
France  http://www.fr.embnet.org/srs6/
Germany http://genius.embnet.dkfz-heidelberg.de/menu/srs/

The Netherlands EMBnet node has a Genbank database under SRS, but it only
contains a few entries (under 250) that are not quite the same in EMBL, and
is not the full database.

The United Kingdom EMBnet node (Alan's own :-) used to run GenBank as well
as EMBL until recently, and was the original source of Genbank in the
emboss.defaults file.

You can also use NCBI's Entrez for GenBank.