Compile problem

Peter C. Tribble ptribble at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk
Thu Jul 20 08:14:42 UTC 2000

David Lapointe said:
>>>For some reason, configure --with-pngdriver=/usr/local/lib  ( where the
>>>z,libpng, and gd
>>>libs are) refuses to configure png
>>>
>>>checking for gdImageCreateFromPng in -lgd... no
>>>need to upgrade gd for png driver for plplot
>>>No png driver will be made due to librarys missing/old
>>>
>>>Well, it's not missing and it's not old ( gd 1.8.3 ).

It's too new, I suspect. gd 1.8.3 requires jpeg as well as png, and emboss
doesn't know that yet. You should be able to look at config.log to work
out what's gone wrong, but currently emboss won't work with gd 1.8.3.

(I spotted this last week on OpenBSD, which didn't generate any link
errors and cheerfully built emboss, but then none of the binaries would
actually run because they couldn't find any of the jpeg stuff at runtime.)

-Peter Tribble
HGMP Computing Services
http://www.hgmp.mrc.ac.uk/~ptribble/