emboss gui

Indraneel Majumdar indraneel at www.cdfd.org.in
Thu Aug 24 01:24:48 UTC 2000

On Wed, 23 Aug 2000 ableasby at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk wrote:

> Well, PISE is one of the things to get back to asap. There's just been
> a million and one other things to do lately. We are in contact with
> Rodger Stadens group and Kathryn Beal there is producing a very
> swish graphical interface to EMBOSS. I've been over to LMB twice to

Where can I get PISE and also the new interface under development?

> Alan

I've very recently started working in Bioinformatics. Sometime back (when
I had only heard about GCG and didn't know of anything called EMBOSS) I
made a small program for Chaos-Game-Representation. It is an interactive
program using svgalib on Linux console and can read DNA/RNA sequences, has
a choice of number of points to plots (starting and ending), random plot,
probability and percentage of points, shows a grid, sequences, probability
for random plot, printing to PNG file etc. and is very colorful. I tested
it against 33million bases and it plots that in 14 seconds and prints to
file instantaneously on a normal PC. It is currently under LGPL (binary
under GPL). Is it possible to include this in EMBOSS. I plan to port it to
Mesa to make the program platform independent and also add a command line
mode. I do not know anything about AJAX or ACD yet but am trying to learn.
The program is available at
http://metalab.unc.edu/pub/linux/science/biology/dnacgr-0.2.tar.gz
and from my website below.

Hoping that you'll like the program and include it in EMBOSS,

Thanks,
Indraneel

# Indraneel Majumdar                  ¡  E-mail: indraneel at 123india.com  #
# Bioinformatics Unit (EMBNET node),  ¡  URL: http://scorpius.iwarp.com  #
# Centre for DNA Fingerprinting and Diagnostics,                         #
# Hyderabad, India - 500076                                              #