HCL Exceed

Johann Visagie johann at egenetics.com
Tue Aug 1 09:55:47 UTC 2000

David Bauer on 2000-08-01 (Tue) at 10:33:09 +0200:

> I have problems with the graphical output of emboss when accessing it from
> WinNT via HCL Exceed X11 emulator.

For the record, Exceed isn't an emulator, it's a full-blown X11R6 server for
the win32 architecture.  :-)

However...

> Here are the error messages I get from testplot:
>
> Plotting sin, cos and  tan for 90 degrees
> X protocol error: error=8 request=1 minor=0
[ etc. ]

> Emboss is running on FreeBSD3.1 and there are no problems with X11 output
> directly under FreeBSD. Only the WinNT emulation bombs.

I get exactly the same, running on a July 14 build of FreeBSD 3.5-STABLE,
displaying via a demo of Exceed 6.2 running under Win2K Prof.  Displaying on
various other remote (Unix-based) X11 servers gives no problems.  I think
I've tweaked every knob Exceed has to offer - to no avail.  Baffling.

> (As workaround I can save .ps and then use ghostview, which also works.)

Or create a .png and use xv or similar to display.

BTW, I created and submitted a FreeBSD port for EMBOSS 1.0.0, which was
committed last night.  Next time you cvsup your ports tree you'll see it
appear under /usr/ports/biology.  Pity I just missed the 3.5.1 and 4.1
releases, or a precompiled EMBOSS package would've gone out on those CDs.
Oh well, next release...

-- Johann