[emboss-dev] Hello, First Timer Question

Peter Rice pmr at ebi.ac.uk
Fri Dec 23 23:41:09 UTC 2011

Hi Daniel,

On 22/12/2011 15:50, Daniel Melchior wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I'm a student majoring in cs and would like to get some "real world"
> programming experience through open source. I recently joined open-bio and
> was looking for a project or application that needs attention. I have a
> rather light workload this semester and could devote up to 8 hours a week.
>
> Emboss appears to have many high priority areas in need of attention (at
> least according to the "get involved" portion of the site), so I figured I
> would consult with you guys before I did anything else.

An interesting time to ask. We will be looking for extended community
support in the New Year, and aim to have some online training in need of
beta testing.

We are all away for the Xmas break until January, so expect to hear from
us as soo as we are back online.

> As a side note, this would be my first attempt at open source work, so
> you'll have to pardon me if I ask any ignorant questions. I am here to
> learn as well as to help.

No problem. If you can't figure out the answer it usually means we have
missed somethign in the documentation and we're always happy to fill in
gaps.

Season's greetings to one and all, and best wishes for a happy and
prosperous 2012.

Peter Rice
EMBOSS Team