[emboss-dev] Upper limit to "floats" - Checked by AntiVir DEMO version -

Guy Bottu gbottu at ben.vub.ac.be
Fri Mar 2 11:25:48 UTC 2007

	Dear colleagues,

While testing a problem related to the difference between BLAST outputs
at the NCBI and at BEN I tried to run blast2seq (our "wrapper" for
bl2seq) with parameter -effdbsize=19973047279.0 and got a :
Uncaught exception:  Assertion failed, raised at ajmem.c:134
The crash occurs when the program reads the "float". I tried to add a
"maximum: 1000000000000" to the ACD, but this does not help. Can you
confirm that there is an upper limit to the size of floating point
numbers EMBOSS can handle ? And do you think it is a good idea to
increase this value, since e.g. the total size of the NCBI "nr" databank
is higher and so we might need our programs to handle such values ?

	Regards,
	Guy Bottu,
	BEN