More than one output for EMBOSS apps

Peter Rice pmr at ebi.ac.uk
Mon Mar 24 12:21:11 UTC 2003

I am looking through the output definitions for EMBOSS, with the aim of
cleaning up some problems that especially hit interfaces that parse the
results, and definitions of web services.

Several applications have more than one output. Some of the output files
are optional, some are more complicated.

I would like to clean these up so that, in general, an EMBOSS
application has only one output file (and the interface can choose the
format)

A graph can be produced in addition to another output (seems hard to
avoid) ... but the choices should be clearly defined so that interface
wrappers know what they can expect.

If there is more than one output, it should be clear where this is an
"either/or" choice - so that, for example, two wrappers can be built,
one for each output (many interfaces do something similar with DNA and
protein sequence input already).

More detailed thoughs in the next message.

Peter