Starting EMBOSS apllications without an input file...

Brooks Mark brooks at embl-grenoble.fr
Mon May 7 13:59:17 UTC 2001

Hi,
firstly thanks to all those who put in toils into this really useful
package.

Two of us here are  wondering how one could use the libraries (nucleus
and ajax) without having an input file, and preferably without an "acd"
file corresponding to the program (although this isn't really
necessary).

We are trying to get GUI-based programs, which would be more useful by
just typing the command, (eg. % ./gui) instead of % ./gui rhodopsin.seq.

Does anyone have any advice/ideas or sample code which we could peruse
please?

In my initial attempts I tried to avoid "embInit" (don't laugh!), but
the program would just segfault, whereas it would work as soon as I
replaced embInit back into the program.

Sorry if this Q has been asked before, but I haven't found any archive
of responses, and I haven't seen the answer on the web site.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Mark
--
Mark Brooks,