[DAS2] segments and types

Helt,Gregg Gregg_Helt at affymetrix.com
Mon Nov 6 16:53:22 UTC 2006

For (nearly) completely sequenced genomes, it is important to provide a
complete list of genome segment ids/names.  This allows a visualization
client to provide this list for a user to select from if they are
interested in particular genome locations or simply browsing, rather
than having the id/name of a particular feature in mind.  Now you could
just have the user type in the id of a segment, but unless they are
familiar with the vagaries of that particular server, do they request
"chr1", or "1", "I", "chrI", "chrom1", etc?  Length information for a
segment is needed to place an upper bound on range queries to the
server.  And in a GUI client it is often more convenient for the user to
indicate visually what range on the segment they want to retrieve data
from, but this doesn't make sense without the client app knowing the
length of the segment.  Furthermore, once the client is displaying
located annotations on a segment, it can be important to know where the
end of the segment is relative to the locations of annotations.

For less complete genomes (like rabbit), it's not so clear what
advantage there is to having the list of 120,000 scaffolds to choose
from.  Same applies to list of proteins or mRNAs.