[DAS2] updated spec

Andrew Dalke dalke at dalkescientific.com
Mon Apr 17 06:54:30 UTC 2006

Spec writing is like working on a dissertation.  Here's an
example, in the form of a text adventure

http://acephalous.typepad.com/acephalous/2006/04/disadventure.html

 > look laptop
There seems to be a dissertation chapter on the laptop.
 > read chapter
It is long-winded and boring.  You do not want to read it.
 > read chapter
It is obnoxious.  You hate it.
 > read book
Read.  There is a book underneath it that concerns a related topic.
 > read book
Read.  There is a book underneath it that concerns a related topic.
 > work on dissertation
You spend two hours searching the OED for the usage history of the word
devolve.
 > work on dissertation
You spend three hours reading five articles which have nothing to do
with the dissertation.
 > work on dissertation
You spend twenty minutes online reading about baseball.
 > work on dissertation
You spend five minutes playing online poker.
 > work on dissertation
You pick your nose.
 > work on dissertation
You go to the kitchen and eat cheese.
 > work on dissertation
The Mets are on.  It should be a good game.

Anyway, I've gone through the das/das2/draft3/spec.txt document and
updated everything (well, not writeback.  I'm going to need more
cheese.)

Next is to get feedback, validate my inline examples, and convert the
behemoth into HTML, to replace what's on the web site.  Finally.

					Andrew
					dalke at dalkescientific.com