[DAS2] tiled queries for performance

Andrew Dalke dalke at dalkescientific.com
Fri Nov 25 23:43:10 UTC 2005

Asim Siddiqui
> I think this is a great idea.
>
> I don't see this as a big change to the DAS/2 spec or requiring much in
> the way of additional smarts on the client side.

I agree with Allen on this - in some sense there's no effect on the
spec.  It ends up being an agreement among the clients to request
aligned data, by rounding up/down to the nearest, say, kilobase and
for the server implementers to cache those requests.

> The change is simply that instead of the client getting exactly what it
> asks for, it may get more.

While that's another matter - the client makes a request
and the server is free to expand the range to something it can handle
a bit better.  Allen?  Were you suggesting this instead?

In this case there is a change to the spec, and all clients must
be able to filter or otherwise ignore extra results.

I personally think it's an implementation issue related to performance
and there are ways to make the results be generated fast enough.

					Andrew
					dalke at dalkescientific.com