[DAS2] das registry and das2

Andrew Dalke dalke at dalkescientific.com
Fri Nov 18 18:00:12 UTC 2005

Andreas Prlic:
> I would like to start a discussion of how to provide a proper DAS
> interface for
> our das- registration server at http://das.sanger.ac.uk/registry/
>
> Currently it is possible to interact with it using SOAP, or manually
> via the HTML
>  interface.  We should also make it accessible using URL requests.

One of the things Gregg and I talked about at ISMB was that the
top-level
"das-sources" format is, or can be, identical to what's needed for the
registry server.

As it's structured now the top-level interface to a das2/genome URL
returns a list of sources.  Based on what you need for the registry,
we're going to add support for data about the source itself.

The resulting das-sources XML document is effectively identical to
what you're looking for.

Hence I think the top-level XML format for a DAS/2 service is
identical to the XML format for a registry server.

A difference is the support for searches across sources.  We
don't have that in DAS.

This is an example, btw, of how a generic <link> element could
be useful.  Suppose we don't add this in DAS/2.0.  The EBI
could do something like

<link rel="registry.search" href="" />

to say that the given url (which would be the current URL) also
supports a registry search interface.

Or we could have that all DAS/2 servers implement a search.
I don't think that should be a requirement.

> http://server/registry/list
> http://server/registry/find?
> [keyword,organism,authority,type,capability,label]=searchterm

My proposal doesn't affect this.

Why do "find" and "list" take different URLs?  Another possibility
is that the same URL returns everything if there are no filters
in place.

Are multiple search terms allowed?  Boolean AND or OR?

					Andrew
					dalke at dalkescientific.com