[DAS] Bulk download

Jim Procter jprocter at compbio.dundee.ac.uk
Mon Feb 10 11:34:10 UTC 2014

Hi Christophe -
Andy Jenkinson wrote:
> The DAS protocol does support multiple segment parameters in each request, and ProServer (which CBS is using) should handle them correctly. It is possible for the DAS source to explicitly optimise for this type of request, but the default implementation (and the most likely) is to simply repeat the query for each identifier. Thus I would not expect huge gains, but it should cut down on some of the overhead from establishing multiple connections and therefore be a bit quicker.
just to add - I've known some sources to become unstable with multiple
accessions. I seem to remember that In jDas, Leyla implemented a
fallback where for sources that threw errors with multiple accessions,
it would instead make a series of single identifier requests.
>> My second question:
>> I have loaded all uniprot annotations as one single GFF file.
>> http://www.uniprot.org/uniprot/?query=reviewed%3ayes&force=yes&format=gff
>>
>> Is it possible to load such GFF file for other services using
>> uniprot-identifiers?
Ah - I think you are asking if any other DAS sources can serve GFF.
Generally - no. However, it very much depends on the server
implementation. I don't remember if any of the standard servers
officially support GFF download, although I know that has been requested
at DAS meetings.. and I seem to remember that Dazzle had a switch for GFF.

Jim