[DAS] Personal genomics/Deploying a DAS server for Dummies/6 Easy steps

Jonathan Warren jw12 at sanger.ac.uk
Thu Jan 12 15:31:52 UTC 2012

On 12 Jan 2012, at 13:43, Dan Bolser wrote:

Hi Dan

Thanks for the feedback.

> That's great!
>
> Just last night I was looking for something that would fulfill this
> requirement.
>
> One suggestion would be for authentication like I get with my Google,
> Flicker, Twitter, Facebook, etc. accounts. (Is this an open protocol
> for authentication, or did they each re-invent this wheel?)

> i.e. I want to be able to specifically grant access to my data by a
> known third party.
>
> e.g. GeneticGuru wants access to your GenotypeArchive account, allow
> or deny?

For the situation where someone only wants themselves to access there
own data for the moment they can just turn on their DAS server when
they want to use it and not advertise their url. But if there is
demand for people to be able to specify who can use it I can add some
security to this.

We had large debates about how to implement security in DAS at the
last couple of DAS workshops. In the end it was decided we would go
with BASIC authentication and https requests and responses and people
would have to trust DAS clients with their username and passwords.

The registry already supports this for the web service and I believe
Andy J has implemented it in proserver as well. MyDAS if it doesn't
already have it, can be easily modified to do so I think and it's on
my list to do this for a writeback instance I'm setting up for genomic
data anyway.

However the big fly in the ointment is that I'm pretty sure no clients
support it at the moment however. I'm sure ensembl doesn't and I don't
think Dalliance does, GBrowse doesn't? I think maybe Web Apollo does,
but I haven't heard anything from those guys in ages? I hope I'm wrong
on this though. Maybe Karyodas can implement it quickly???? http://mykaryoview.com

> Do any existing personal genotype archives have this kind of 'genotype
> server' service, or is DAS the first system to provide this
> functionality? Do you plan to build it into a dedicated service
> somewhere?
I'm in discussions about this with the powers that be at the moment.
Problems would include massive memory usage if implemented this way
and also legal issues around managing other peoples genomic data.
Which is why the personal virtual machine in the cloud is something
that is quite an elegant solution at the moment :) I would like the
process for people to be even easier though and for setting up DAS
sources in general.

jw12 at sanger.ac.uk
Ext: 2314
Telephone: 01223 492314