[DAS] Adjacent feature extension

Thomas Down thomas.a.down at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 12:57:37 UTC 2011

On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 12:43 PM, Andy Jenkinson <andy.jenkinson at ebi.ac.uk>wrote:

> We should be under no illusions though that people are going to be able to
> implement this easily without reading the documentation carefully, no matter
> which option is chosen. In particular, I can foresee servers not
> interpreting the "type" filter appropriately, being likely to process the
> adjacent query then apply the type filter, which would be wrong. I have a
> feeling most sources implement the type filter as a passive "post filter"
> rather than an active one. I can tell you right now that it is going to be
> really quite difficult for me to implement "adjacent" correctly for the ASTD
> gene/transcript/exon sources, and I suspect the same will be true for
> retrofitting lots of other sources.

I appreciate this is tough.  However, given the existence of  UCSC-like
"super-sources" containing basically unrelated types, with potentially quite
different densities and dispositions, I find it hard to see how this is
going to be useful without some kind of interaction with the types filter
along the lines of what I've proposed.

               Thomas.