[DAS] 1.53E validation errors

Jonathan Warren jw12 at sanger.ac.uk
Wed Sep 1 13:27:31 UTC 2010

Hi Dave

Thanks for the feedback!

I'll look into caching again on the validation - I've previously put
in all the standard headers etc to prevent caching but maybe I have to
resort to adding a unique parameter for each response as well to avoid
caching. I've not really experienced any problems with caching
recently myself.

With regards to DSN being invalid when stated in the sources document
I agree it's a bit of a usability issue so I've now changed it so that
the registry will not complain about this and tolerate it both for
1.53E and 1.6E specifications. Putting DSN validation is on my todo
list - but it's very little gain in my opinion as it's simple and not
got much to validate (as apposed to the sources document) and is also
completely super-seeded by the sources document. The registry and DAS
in general is getting more and more dependent on a valid sources
document (ensembl works much more smoothly with it to name one example
and in the very near future people can register many sources at once
using the sources document in the registry and the sources will be
auto updating to show any changes in the server). So for this reason
the sources document should be encouraged as much as possible over
DSN. If others have a strong opinion about DSNs being listed by the
registry in sources capabilities and validated then let me know and
I'll bump it up my list of things to do.

Jonathan Warren
Senior Developer and DAS coordinator
blog: http://biodasman.wordpress.com/
jw12 at sanger.ac.uk