[DAS] DAS and bacterial genomes

Ewan Birney birney at ebi.ac.uk
Wed Aug 18 09:30:32 UTC 2010

On 18 Aug 2010, at 09:52, Adam Witney wrote:

> Hi Andy,
>
> Yes I am aware of the some of the idiosyncrasies of the Ensembl
> Genomes naming conventions. But is there a reason that the DAS
> registry should be constrained by Ensembl Genomes? Could the
> Registry entry refer to a specific taxonomy iD and its corresponding
> entry in EG, despite EG using a different taxonomy ID?
>
> I'd like to be able to export our microarray designs and data via
> DAS for others to use (including EnsemblBacteria). This if for 16 or
> so species with multiple strains thereof.

Just to say that I think we should get this as straight as we can;
just to
state the obvious - EG is not trying to be deliberately complex here,
it is
just that the concept of "one taxid == one species == one assembly
series" just
breaks down in bacteria.

I've brought in the three key people here on the EG side - Eugene
(does the web
side of this); Dan (main data production manager) and Paul Kersey (the
EG PI) -
some of them are on holiday now, but I suggest perhaps setting up a
phone
conference (and/or Adam could you come for a visit?) to get this as
straight as
we can - I suspect there will both be short term fixes and more longer
term
infrastructural fixes here.