[DAS] querying for nonpositional annotations

Leyla Garcia ljgarcia at ebi.ac.uk
Mon Aug 2 16:15:42 UTC 2010

On 02/08/2010 16:17, Jonathan Warren wrote:
> Currently having read all points and thought about  it properly I
> agree with Eugenes summary of what the behavior should be.
> I was thinking that types filtering is not implemented and understood
> well by many casual users of DAS. But as the types command and
> filtering is something we want to encourage using the non-positional
> type should encourage this and as long as it's documented well and
> splattered everywhere I think it should be fine. But using the logic
> below as far as I can see this means you have to do 2 requests if you
> want features and non-positional annotations for a range
> /das/source/features?segment=P99999:1,150 and
> /das/source/features?segment=P99999;type=annotation

I think I am confused about the annotation type filter.
Why do you need type=annotation to retrieve non-positional features when
no range is specified? -->
/das/source/features?segment=P99999;type=annotation
If I am not mistaken, no range will retrieve both positional and
non-positional features.

> But presumably doing
> /das/source/features?segment=P99999:1,150;type=gene;type=annotation
> would actually return genes if in region but no non-positional results
> which isn't really logical on its own?

So far, non-positional features will be always retrieve, with or without
range. The idea behind using a type filter (type=annotation) is to
specify whether or not non-positional features should be retrieve (or
any other type). So the last query should actually retrieve the
"annotation" type features, or not?

Leyla