[DAS] pinging source

Chervitz, Steve Steve_Chervitz at affymetrix.com
Tue Sep 15 18:20:16 UTC 2009

Andy Jenkinson wrote on 15 Sep 2009 10:04:03 -0700:

> I'm not sure if you meant the sources schema exactly as it is or to
> make the <SOURCE> element  the root element. I would vote for the
> former (i.e. a sources document containing one source). It makes
> things much easier for the client and spec not to have a separate
> schema.
>
> Regarding the XSL stylesheets, I can see where you're coming from. I
> have some prototype stylesheets which have an option to show the XML
> (prettied up), which I think is the best compromise.

Optional stylesheets for web browsing sounds fine.

On a related note re XSL: Stylesheets can also be used to communicate information to DAS clients, to control browser behavior with certain tracks.  For example, we are doing this with the Genoviz DAS2 server to provide auto-load hints to IGB to indicate whether all features of a particular data type should be loaded for a given genomic sequence (chromosome) or if it should be loaded on-demand.

Do any of the DAS 1.5/1.6-based servers and clients do something like this?

Steve

On 15 Sep 2009, at 17:56, Jonathan Warren wrote:

> My vote at the moment would be to have the source element.
>
> On a side note: My vote would also be to not have nice human
> readable stylesheets at all ;) Though I accept I may be a lone voice
> on this one. Mainly because I want DAS to be as powerful as possible
> while being easy for new users to get into ( some people who have
> provided das sources for years have not known they could just right
> click and select "show source" to get the xml and see that their new
> elements are shown in the xml but are not in the stylesheet!!). It
> justs adds a layer of complexity and confusion for little gain in my
> opinion. The alternative would be to have raw xml as default and
> stylesheet as an option - presumably that could be done? Maybe I
> missed the whole point about putting them in? Surely people use das
> in a browser for discovery and testing not actually viewing data on
> a day to day basis?
>

> On 15 Sep 2009, at 17:28, Thomas Down wrote:
>

>> On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 4:35 PM, Jonathan Warren
>> <jw12 at sanger.ac.uk> wrote:
>>
>> I've always had an issue with the commands like this http://www.ebi.ac.uk/das-srv/genomicdas/das/eqtl_rat_cis_fat
>>  not being a valid das command as it's the most natural request for
>> a person new to das to make. So giving it a specific purpose and
>> response is a good idea.
>>
>> What would you put there?  HTML "welcome" information (which seems
>> to be ProServer's current behaviour)?  DAS XML?  (in which case...
>> the relevant SOURCE element, or something else)?  DAS XML with some
>> strong encouragement for servers to attach a stylesheet to turn it
>> into something readable if you hit it with a browser?
>>
>> Currently, Dazzle just returns an error, because it interacts
>> rather nastily with the way Dazzle supports hierarchical datasource
>> namespaces.  Having said that, the original use case for these
>> hasn't really materialized, so it wouldn't be a big deal to strip
>> this out.
>>
>>               Thomas.
>
> Jonathan Warren
> Senior Developer and DAS coordinator
> jw12 at sanger.ac.uk
> Ext: 2314
> Telephone: 01223 492314
>

> -- The Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute is operated by Genome
> Research Limited, a charity registered in England with number
> 1021457 and a company registered in England with number 2742969,
> whose registered office is 215 Euston Road, London, NW1 2BE.

This transmission is intended for the sole use of the individual
and entity to whom it is addressed, and may contain information
that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under
applicable law. You are hereby notified that any use,
dissemination, distribution or duplication of this transmission by
someone other than the intended addressee or its designated agent
is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in
error, please notify the sender immediately by reply to this
transmission and delete it from your computer.