[DAS] pinging source

Jonathan Warren jw12 at sanger.ac.uk
Tue Sep 15 16:56:38 UTC 2009

My vote at the moment would be to have the source element.

On a side note: My vote would also be to not have nice human readable
stylesheets at all ;) Though I accept I may be a lone voice on this
one. Mainly because I want DAS to be as powerful as possible while
being easy for new users to get into ( some people who have provided
das sources for years have not known they could just right click and
select "show source" to get the xml and see that their new elements
are shown in the xml but are not in the stylesheet!!). It justs adds a
layer of complexity and confusion for little gain in my opinion. The
alternative would be to have raw xml as default and stylesheet as an
option - presumably that could be done? Maybe I missed the whole point
about putting them in? Surely people use das in a browser for
discovery and testing not actually viewing data on a day to day basis?

On 15 Sep 2009, at 17:28, Thomas Down wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 4:35 PM, Jonathan Warren <jw12 at sanger.ac.uk>
> wrote:
>
> I've always had an issue with the commands like this http://www.ebi.ac.uk/das-srv/genomicdas/das/eqtl_rat_cis_fat
>  not being a valid das command as it's the most natural request for
> a person new to das to make. So giving it a specific purpose and
> response is a good idea.
>
> What would you put there?  HTML "welcome" information (which seems
> to be ProServer's current behaviour)?  DAS XML?  (in which case...
> the relevant SOURCE element, or something else)?  DAS XML with some
> strong encouragement for servers to attach a stylesheet to turn it
> into something readable if you hit it with a browser?
>
> Currently, Dazzle just returns an error, because it interacts rather
> nastily with the way Dazzle supports hierarchical datasource
> namespaces.  Having said that, the original use case for these
> hasn't really materialized, so it wouldn't be a big deal to strip
> this out.
>
>               Thomas.

Jonathan Warren
Senior Developer and DAS coordinator