[DAS] DAS Workshop

Dr. Christoph Gille christoph.gille at charite.de
Fri Nov 27 07:40:42 UTC 2009

> We are considering running a Distributed Annotation System workshop

Great, I would like to come and could prepare a presentation on a work
which has been  submitted as a poster by Rafael Jimenez and me to
the VizBi 2010:

"Visualization of sequence features with Dasty and STRAP"

Protein sequence features such as post-translational modifications of
amino acids, cleavage sites, catalytic site residues and ligand
binding sites, are recorded by data curators from all over the world
and stored in public databases. The collections of sequence features
are accessible via DAS servers.
Here we present two sequence feature viewers -
Dasty http://www.ebi.ac.uk/dasty/  and
STRAP http://www.bioinformatics.org/strap/ . They
are complementary in several aspects, therefore, they can be used in
concert. Both have in common that they load sequence features from any
registered DAS server and display the up-to-data information along the
amino acid sequence.
Dasty gives a clear and compact overview of sequence features of one
single amino acid sequence. An outstanding feature is the ability to
re-arrange the information using the mouse.
To compare sequence features of two homologous proteins or to display
sequence features of one protein in the context of a sequence
alignment or 3D-structure the user can activate the "STRAP"-button in
the Dasty view.
In the multiple sequence alignment panel of STRAP, the residues with
sequence features are underlined. Textural information is not directly
shown due to the limited space, but pops up as a balloon message
instead.
For structural biologists we also provide the ability to highlight the
sequence features on the 3D-model of the protein itself or on a
related PDB entry, see http://3d-alignment.eu/.

Christoph