[DAS] DAS 1.6 draft

Andy Jenkinson andy.jenkinson at ebi.ac.uk
Tue Mar 31 16:00:31 UTC 2009

In 1.53, the method element's id attribute and CDATA were both optional.
This meant the following was legal (but clearly wrong!):
<METHOD />

Now in 1.6, the id attribute is required but tag content is optional:
<METHOD id="foo" />
<METHOD id="foo">bar</METHOD>

Likewise the TYPE element follows the same principle. IMO this is the
"correct" thing to do.

ProServer -currently- (i.e. 1.53) will copy the ID into the tag contents
if not provided explicitly, so the tag contents is always present:
<METHOD id="foo">foo</METHOD>
Most implementations don't bother to provide a separate "pretty" name
for the method, so look like this.

This is generally what clients would do anyway if they display the
method - i.e. if the server doesn't provide a human readable method (tag
content), the ID is used for display instead. But I have no qualms in
changing ProServer to obey the spirit of the spec more closely, if that
is seen as preferable.

Andy