[DAS] 1.6 draft 1 feedback

Andy Jenkinson andy.jenkinson at ebi.ac.uk
Mon Mar 30 16:52:57 UTC 2009

Replying to some suggestions from Jonathan, I thought I'd post to the list:

Jonathan Warren wrote:
> I'm going through and making up the relaxng docs 1.6 specific. So for
> the entry_points start and stop are you saying start and stop (both
> optional), so we assume if stop omitted it=total and if start omitted we
> say =1 or do we want both either specified or neither specified?

Reading it now, it's certainly a potential point of confusion. How about
just making all three required? There shouldn't be any extra overhead
for the server if it has to implement 'total', anyway.

I will also explicitly state how to handle "out of range" requests:
"If a client requests an invalid range of rows (e.g. completely beyond
the range offered by the server, or negative values) the server responds
with an X-DAS-Status of 402 (see the Request  section). However, if the
server has entry points for at least one of the requested range of rows,
they are returned as normal (the actual rows returned being indicated
via the start and end attributes)."

> probably worth while putting "deprecated" in pink bits as if people
> don't read the whole document they will think they are still part of the
> spec.

Sounds reasonable. I initially started separating the deprecated bits
out, putting them at the end of each section, but it looked confusing.
I'll just mark them with text.