[DAS] segments, features and overlaps

Lincoln Stein lstein at cshl.org
Wed May 21 17:26:25 EDT 2003

Ah, you can see how late my e-mail is running.

The answer to this is that I think it is highly desirable to return features
that overlap the segment boundary and to return the non-clipped object.  This
has the effect of producing features where one end is inside the requested
range and the other end is outside.  This was required by the version 0.95
spec.

As I recall, there was some concern on the part of server implementors that
the search for overlapping features was going to be computationally awkward,
and so the requirement was made optional.

Lincoln