[DAS] Getting Started With DAS

Thomas Down td2@sanger.ac.uk
Sun, 29 Sep 2002 17:55:16 +0100

On Wed, Sep 25, 2002 at 04:45:02PM -0500, Dave Wall wrote:
> Hi everyone.  I am new to DAS and have a few questions about getting
> started.  Would anyone be will to answer a few questions via email to help
> me get started?  (I am thinking email would work better because then we
> wouldn't clutter up the forum.)  As background and to help you see what I
> am after, I am looking at the client side of DAS.  I wrote a little code to
> access a public DAS server but was not able to complete a path to an
> annotation.  I can get a list of DSNs and a list of features, but am not
> able to see the annotation referenced by the feature.  To take it back a
> level, reading some of the forums and web sites there is talk of a java
> based LGPL class library to help write the client side.  Unfortunately I
> can't find the class library or documentation for it.  Anyone willing to
> take a few minutes to answer a few questions?  Thanks!

There's some DAS client code in the BioJava library (LGPLed, from
http://www.biojava.org/).  It's not a pure client library (in terms
of having APIs mapping 1:1 to the DAS protocol), but it allows you
to access annotation from one or more DAS servers as a BioJava
Sequence object.

Let me know if you've got any questions about this,

     Thomas.