[DAS] standard entry_points

Titus Brown titus@caltech.edu
Thu, 21 Mar 2002 11:22:15 -0800

-> > > Within a particular organism's genome, the entry points should be the
-> same
-> > > (they are defined by the reference server).  Perhaps I'm missing
-> something,
-> > > but what is the point of using the same nomenclature for C. elegans
-> > > CHROMOSOME_I and human Chr1, since you would never jump from one to the
-> other
-> What about using database accessions/ID's for entry_points? For example all
-> of the Arabidopsis chromosomes have EMBL accession IDs. That way an
-> application can go off by itself and discover exactly what the entry point
-> is (or at least find a human readable description of what it is) from an
-> external data source without the awkward fluffy bit that states "oh, by the
-> way, this entry point is a chromosome, that one is only an arm and this one
-> is a chloroplast.

Perhaps I missed the e-mail, but what's the rationale for avoiding
human-readable (non-machine-readable) descriptions for entry points?

--titus