[DAS] standard entry_points

Tony Cox avc@sanger.ac.uk
Thu, 21 Mar 2002 19:21:30 -0000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul Gordon" <gordonp@cbr.nrc.ca>
To: "Lincoln Stein" <lstein@cshl.org>
Cc: <das@biodas.org>
Sent: Thursday, March 21, 2002 6:51 PM
Subject: Re: [DAS] standard entry_points

> > Within a particular organism's genome, the entry points should be the
same
> > (they are defined by the reference server).  Perhaps I'm missing
something,
> > but what is the point of using the same nomenclature for C. elegans
> > CHROMOSOME_I and human Chr1, since you would never jump from one to the
other
What about using database accessions/ID's for entry_points? For example all
of the Arabidopsis chromosomes have EMBL accession IDs. That way an
application can go off by itself and discover exactly what the entry point
is (or at least find a human readable description of what it is) from an
external data source without the awkward fluffy bit that states "oh, by the
way, this entry point is a chromosome, that one is only an arm and this one
is a chloroplast.

Tony