[DAS] DAS & cuban cigars and porn offers

chris dagdigian dag@sonsorol.org
Sat, 29 Jun 2002 19:22:39 -0400

Hi folks,

Speaking as one of the Open Bio mailteam members...

Bioperl people keep their list pretty much wide open by common
consensus. The biojava-l people have taken a slightly more hard-edge
tactic: they've agreed to block all list messages that are not of
mime-type text/plain. This catches lots of spam but also tends to upset
clueless Outlook users who send me nasty emails asking me why their
message was held for moderation.

You folks can do whatever you like although if you want to take the list
and make it "members post only" or "moderated" then I'd have to ask for
list members to step up and volunteer to handle the increased
administrative duties that this will cause us. Interested volunteers
just need a web browser to approve/deny/discard any messages that get
caught up in the moderator's queue.

If you want to block all non text/plain messages then I can do this
pretty easily at the mailman level. It won't stop all spam but would
probably help a little bit.

There is a better solution in the works. We expect to transition to a
solaris 8 platform later on this month for web and email services. Once
we do that I plan on installing additional antispam tools (we already
subscribe to the www.mail-abuse.org blackhole lists) such as spamassasin
and vipul's razor etc. etc.

We will also be rolling out gateway-level anti virus tools that will
scan all inbound and outbound emails. We can't do this now because
finding product that support linux-on-alpha is a bit of a pain.

So- let me (or root-l@Bioperl.org) know if you want to make any changes
to this list. Otherwise just hang on for a month or two and things
should get better once we are on the new Sun hardware.

Regards,
Chris