[DAS] Omnigene vs DAS

Brian Gilman gilmanb@genome.wi.mit.edu
Thu, 3 Jan 2002 19:17:40 -0500 (EST)

Wow!!

	That's absolutely the wrong message we are trying to get out!! How
can I change that??

	OmniGene is MIDDLEWARE!! That implements the DAS 1.0 and our
version of the 2.0 (not yet agreed upon so use with caution)
specification. The difference between omnigene and dazzle/ldas is its use
of technologies. OmniGene uses the DAS protocol to make requests to your
datastore (flat file, XML file, database) and sends DAS responses.
Omniview is the  first application which uses this middleware. It is a
direct port of the ensembl (perl) gui code. You can set up a fully
functional DAS server using omnigene and browse ANY DAS datasource with
omniview.

	 With omnigene, you don't need to worry
about servlets, ejb's or any of the other technologies that it uses. We
have tried to hide all of those implementation details from you. All you
need to concentrate on is the datastore you are interested in serving data
from. Right now the easiest way to serve data is through a database which
supports stored procedures. We are currently in the process of integrating
mysql and flatfile backends in the architecure.

	Hope that helps!!

				-B

Brian Gilman <gilmanb@genome.wi.mit.edu>
Sr. Software Engineer MIT/Whitehead Inst. Center for Genome Research
One Kendall Square, Bldg. 300 / Cambridge, MA 02139-1561 USA
phone +1 617  252 1069 / fax +1 617 252 1902