[DAS] Dazzle with Ensembl 3.26.1

Stefano Tine s.tine@oxagen.co.uk
Fri, 15 Feb 2002 15:05:22 -0000

Yes, I forgot to mention that that URL loads just as
fast with both versions of Ensembl (5 seconds or so) when
no DAS source is loaded. Actually 3.26.1 might even be
faster (altough with mod_perl caching I am not 100% sure
of this).

It's only the moment I turn on a (external or internal) DAS
service that 3.26.1 slows down an extra 30" (could it be a 30"
timeout to a Proxy or something? no proxies are defined in
HomoSapiens.ini or SiteDefs.pm though) while 1.2.0 does not.
I tried with seven (external) DAS sources on and 3.26.1
and, guess what, it took almost exactly 215"..

I was under the impression that an external DAS source (say
"LINE repeat" in the default list) was served with no query
back to the client's MySQL database, though. Thus if said
database (here) has broken indexes/tables it shouldn't matter.
But I guess my impression was wrong then.

Stefano

-----Original Message-----
From: Thomas Down [mailto:td2@sanger.ac.uk]
Sent: Friday, February 15, 2002 2:31 PM
To: Tony Cox
Cc: Stefano Tine; Thomas Down; das@biodas.org
Subject: Re: [DAS] Dazzle with Ensembl 3.26.1

On Fri, Feb 15, 2002 at 02:23:01PM +0000, Tony Cox wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Feb 2002, Stefano Tine wrote:
>
> Hi Stefano,
>
> one thing to consider is whether this region has become a lot more "busy"
in
> terms of visible annotations. Maybe the server is shifting a lot more data
now?

> Is it only DAS that slows it down? - maybe you have a junked index in
ensembl
> somewhere. 7-fold slowdown seems suspiciously bad....

I've just tried this from the Sanger ensembl website, and that
particular region wasn't particularly fast to load -- took something
like 10 seconds with no DAS sources at all.  Adding several
of the standard DAS sources only seemed to add a couple of seconds
to that.

It does, indeed, appear to be a fairly `busy' region.  I tried
a few other regions of the same length and they returned much
quicker (and again, adding DAS made no more than a second or
two of difference)

     Thomas

> +>Well, I tried forgetting our own DAS service
> +>and just requesting a contigview with one of the
> +>predefined DAS services on (=LINE repeat):
> +>

+>http://localhost/Homo_sapiens/contigview?chr=chr15&vc_start=61218530&vc_en
d=