[DAS] SVG based browser: BioViz

Christopher Lewis lewisCT@agr.gc.ca
Fri, 23 Aug 2002 13:26:23 -0400

Hi,

Given the mention of SVG for DAS a little while ago, I thought I should get our browser running somewhere public so that you could all take a look.  Thanks to the U of S for the space in the server room.

Our browser is (currently) intended to visualize the relationship between our B.napus ESTs and the Arabidopsis genome (using TIGR's annotation).  When you're looking at our browser, keep in mind other bitmap based browsers.  I think SVG based browsing offers some advantages and I'm hoping others will agree.  Beyond that, I wonder what people think of this framework (or something like it) as the interface for a browser based DAS system?

http://128.233.130.117
Username: developer
Password: preview

Please don't distribute this IP too widely, I'm only making this available early for discussion purposes.  The "real" public release should happen towards the middle of next month.

I should state that this is a prototype or beta version - it's in use in house but it still needs work.  There are a couple features related to our ESTs which don't work in this "limited edition" public release as I simply removed the proprietary data and didn't disable the functionality.  The "real" public release will have these things cleaned up and will be reachable from www.brassica.ca.

Thank you for you time, and please let me know what you think.

cheers,
Chris