[DAS] Question about das development.

Bill Gooding bgood97@yahoo.com
Sun, 18 Aug 2002 21:53:02 -0700 (PDT)

--0-690688350-1029732782=:35991

Hi Lincoln,
Thanks for the information.  I looked up the links you gave and here is what I found:
1.  http://www.svgopen.org/abstracts/lewis_et_al__bioviz_genome_viewer.html  - this was a link to an abstact about a system being proposed in Canada.  Unfortunately, I couldn't find any associated code for the system.  I was really looking for an open source project that I could assist on.
2.  http://www.labbook.com/ - This system appears to be another browser, unfortunately I couldn't download it to have a look at it.  It appears they may have suspended downloads for the time being since they are releasing new software.  Although once again, I was looking for an open source project.

3.  http://gb.bioruby.org/  - This appears to be an open source project.  I downloaded the code and am currently trying to analyze it.  I couldn't find the XSLT files that they were using.  However they may be parsing the information directly from a database and turning it into SVG.

What I was really looking to develop was a server that used an XML/XSLT framework to transform the output of a DAS or other XML format into SVG.  Ideally the system would be customizable so that a user could easily use his own XSLT files to transform the output to anything he would like.  I'll continue to look at the bioRuby information, but I still don't see the kind of system I am talking about available.

Thanks for your help,

Bill Gooding

 Lincoln Stein wrote:Search for "SVG" and "genome browser" on google. Here's one:

http://www.svgopen.org/abstracts/lewis_et_al__bioviz_genome_viewer.html

Here's another:

http://www.labbook.com/

Here's a third (ruby):

http://gb.bioruby.org/

There's also a commercial java based browser that uses XML as its data
transport and SVG for its UI, but for the life of me I can't find the name or
URL (it's in development).

Lincoln

On Monday 12 August 2002 03:12 pm, Bill Gooding wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Although I am new to the mailing list, I have been looking at
> bioinformatics information for a while and had a simple question. From
> what I have seen it appears that in order to access the XML information
> from various servers people use a downloaded java program which implements
> a GUI (Swing/AWT) for displaying information. I was wondering if anyone
> had considered using an XML based server that tranforms the data into SVG
> for display on a browser. That is, something similar to Cocoon. That way,
> differing XML format could be handled in a more comprehensive way. I have
> begun writing code to implement this idea (although it is not Cocoon based
> - I use jave xml api's) and am perfectly willing to donate it to biodas.org
> as open source as a start to developing such a system.
>
> So with that background my question is:
>
> 1. If a system such as I have proposed has been developed, where is it ?
> I just need a specific link.
>
> 2. If such a system does not exist, is anyone interested in the idea or
> want to discuss it ?
>

> Thanks,
>

> Bill Gooding

--0-690688350-1029732782=:35991

<P>Hi Lincoln,
<P>Thanks for the information.&nbsp; I looked up the links you gave and here is what I found:
<P>1.&nbsp; <A href="http://www.svgopen.org/abstracts/lewis_et_al__bioviz_genome_viewer.html">http://www.svgopen.org/abstracts/lewis_et_al__bioviz_genome_viewer.html</A>&nbsp; - this was a link to an abstact about a system being proposed in Canada.&nbsp; Unfortunately, I couldn't find any associated code for the system.&nbsp; I was really looking for an open source project that I could assist on.
<P>2.&nbsp; <A href="http://www.labbook.com/">http://www.labbook.com/</A> - This system appears to be another browser, unfortunately I couldn't download it to have a look at it.&nbsp; It appears they may have suspended downloads for the time being since they are releasing new software.&nbsp; Although once again, I was looking for an open source project.</P>
<P>3.&nbsp; <A href="http://gb.bioruby.org/">http://gb.bioruby.org/</A>&nbsp; - This appears to be an open source project.&nbsp; I downloaded the code and am currently trying to analyze it.&nbsp; I couldn't find the XSLT files that they were using.&nbsp; However they may be parsing the information directly from a database and turning it into SVG.</P>
<P>What I was really looking to develop was a server that used an XML/XSLT framework to transform the output of a DAS or other XML format into SVG.&nbsp; Ideally the system would be customizable so that a user could easily use his own XSLT files to transform the output to anything he would like.&nbsp; I'll continue to look at the bioRuby information, but I still don't see the kind of system I am talking about available.&nbsp; </P>
<P>Thanks for your help,</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>Bill Gooding<BR><BR></P>
<P>&nbsp;