[DAS] DAS/2 Grant Application?

Ewan Birney birney@ebi.ac.uk
Thu, 15 Aug 2002 10:16:48 +0100 (BST)

On Wed, 14 Aug 2002, Kulp, David wrote:

> Hi, DAS folks.  I'm interested to see some dedicated effort to integrate and
> propose the next version of DAS/2.  There are already a number of
> interesting RFCs and I think there are many folks who wish to see
> improvements of one kind or another regarding efficient and expressive
> representation of features.  I was considering submitting an Oct 1 NIH grant
> proposal under PA-02-141 "CONTINUED DEVELOPMENT AND MAINTENANCE OF
> BIOINFORMATICS AND COMPUTATIONAL BIOLOGY SOFTWARE" at
> http://grants2.nih.gov/grants/bistic/bistic_funding.cfm.
> Are there already efforts to obtain funding in this regard?  Lincoln, Sean,
> or Robin, is there anything in the works?
> Are there other interested collaborators?

We would be interested i am sure - having someone who's primary focus was
DAS, rather than a second priority would be great, and that could make
sure that DAS integration was spurred on - ie, the biggest thing Ensembl
can offer is the data we have always being exposed in DAS in a robust,
standards compliant way. By providing a big dataset in DAS I think we
really help DAS.

Ensembl contigview is also of course a DAS client and for us this is being
remarkably successful for the "small annotation" (small in terms of
region, or in terms of sparsity of data across the genome).

I suspect that we would be a sub-contract into that RFP with the PI
needing to be US based (we may of course be completely not allowed! but we
have a number of NIH subcontracts) and I would be interested in doing
this.

Even if we don't have resource given to us directly I'd be happy to write
a letter of support.

Someone needs to do the leg-work of writing the grant and putting it all
together. Lincoln - I think you'd be the natural person (!). Do you want
to go for this or pass. I could bash out some stuff to fill out the grant.