[DAS] Reference servers and database versions

richard cote rglcote@yahoo.ca
Tue, 9 Apr 2002 17:37:40 -0400 (EDT)

I've a question regarding reference servers and
concurrent database versions.

A situation:

Alice uses a DAS client and points it to 3 annotation
servers (foo.com, bar.edu and baz.org). It so happens
that each annotation server is using a different
reference server, and unfortunately, each reference
server is using a different build of the human genome
where contigs shift around like crazy. I figure that
this problem could become a major headache as more
builds become available and db admins don't
refresh/update the databases on a regular basis.

Now suppose that I want to query all annotations on
chromosome 1 (nts 1-10K), how can I be sure that the
results from the various annotation servers are in
actuality talking about the same piece of DNA?

Am I missing something, or could this be disastrous?

Thank you,

Richard Cote, M.Sc.                richard@seqbio.com
Senior Bioinformatician         http://www.seqbio.com
Sequence Bioinformatics                1-877-SEQUENCE
1410 Stanley St. Suite 704         (tel) 514-842-5356
Montreal, QC  H3A 1P8              (fax) 514-842-7230

Music, Movies, Sports, Games! http://entertainment.yahoo.ca