[DAS] DAS setup questions

Graeme Campbell graemeca@cmmt.ubc.ca
Tue, 02 Apr 2002 17:26:13 -0800

Hi there,

I have been attempting to set up a sample DAS installation using the
document "Setting up a Ensembl DAS Server"
(http://www.ensembl.org/Docs/das_server_v1.2.pdf), but have been
stumbling a bit and I was hoping someone could offer some advice.

I'm confused about the dazzle-webapp-skeleton
(http://www.biojava.org/download/dazzle/dazzle-webapp-skeleton-0.95.tar.gz).
I get a welcome page when I point my browser at localhost:8080/das/.
I'm also able to get back XML (in compressed format) by pointing my
browser at localhost:8080/das/dsn.  However, it comes with "test" and
"tss" data sources.  What exactly should I be able to do with these
sources once they are installed?  Should I be able to connect to my
local das webapp from the Ensembl website and view test annotations
online?

I've also set up the test database, loaded the sample data, and
configured another sample web-app
(http://www.biojava.org/download/ensembl-das/ensembl-das-webapp-20020214.tar.gz)
as specified in the setup document.  From this, I'm able to get back XML
from a DSN request that lists my new datasource, and I'm able to add the
das source to the web-viewer on the ensembl.org site.  However, when I
browse the AC000041 contig region, there are no annotations, just a
message saying "No * Ensembl Te.. features in this region."  I believe
the test data from the setup document is all in this region though - but
I may be misunderstanding things.

Any guidance you could give me would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Graeme

--
Graeme Campbell				phone:	(604) 875-3868
Bioinformatics Core Facility 		e-mail:	graemeca@cmmt.ubc.ca