[DAS] playing tricks with cgi viewers

Cheung, Foo FCheung@tigr.org
Fri, 14 Dec 2001 11:04:19 -0500

Thanks Brian!

I look forward to seeing what you come up with!

Foo

-----Original Message-----
From: Brian Gilman
To: Cheung, Foo
Cc: 'das@biodas.org'
Sent: 12/14/01 8:52 AM
Subject: Re: [DAS] playing tricks with cgi viewers

Hello Cheung,

	This is neat. I'll try and put a little JSP enabled site up in a
few weeks time using our modules. So, if I understand this right, you
are
doing something akin to a portal? Polling different sites and rendering
PNG's? That's pretty cool. I'll try and show the same sort of thing in
the
java sode of life using DAS and we can compare approaches...The
community
of DAS users will want the sort of functionality you are producing!

				-B

-----------------------
Brian Gilman <gilmanb@genome.wi.mit.edu>
Sr. Software Engineer MIT/Whitehead Inst. Center for Genome Research
One Kendall Square, Bldg. 300 / Cambridge, MA 02139-1561 USA
phone +1 617  252 1069 / fax +1 617 252 1902

On Fri, 14 Dec 2001, Cheung, Foo wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I have been playing a few tricks over the last few hours with das
viewers
> and das servers over the internet.
>
> One of the goals I would like to see (and hopefully others would find
this
> useful) is to get ALL the Das Servers up and running on a "single" cgi
based
> Viewer sitting on your own home page with little or no coding at all!
and
> ASAP. This goal has a few problems...there are some variations bewteen
das
> servers and that some cgi viewers are able view some servers while
others
> cannot. This will be more fragmented when you get some servers serving
> annotations by the DAS 2 protocol and then there will be slight
differences
> between DAS 2 servers. Then add to this sercurity issues which has
been a
> stumbling block for me... etc
>
> One way to quickly overcome all/most of this with little or no coding,
is
> from "one das viewer", call upon many das viewers at one time and use
each
> of their ability to return a subset of Das servers for a particular
organism
> and hopefully by using a combination of viewers you will be able to
return a
> single view containing a full set of servers.
>
> This is not ideal, obviously in the ideal situation you have one cgi
DAS
> viewer without a "distributed viewer system" that returns all das
servers of
> all versions ie. das v2 das v1, das v.9, das v.8, das v.bad, das v.2,
das
> v.3 etc. But I cant see a cgi viewer capable of doing all this for
some time
> to come, in the interim this method might be useful.
>
> I thus played a few ticks with my viewers and with the C elegans
DASview
> over the internet (sorry Lincoln I probably should of asked first!).
> I used the C elegans  DasView to call data from the human reference
server
> and returned it to TIGR as a png image, and within the same viewer and
on
> the same view, I used my own viewers to grab the pngs from all the
TIGR
> human servers and added it to the same view. Thus on one cgi viewer I
can
> call upon many other viewers to return a set of pngs and view tham all
in
> one web page/view. (I came up with this crazy idea because I could not
> directly pick up some of the non tigr human servers out there
possibiliy
> because of sercurity issues I have here)
>
> I think doing it this way you may pick up all DAS servers with very
little
> or no coding at all and view it on one cgi DAS viewer on your home
page :)
> using this sort of "distributed viewer system". As I said this is not
ideal
> but just a lazy thought.
>

> The dasviewer I was experimenting with can be found below:

(http://www.tigr.org/docs/tigr-scripts/nhgi_scripts/das_human_test/dasvi
ew_h