[BioSQL-l] load_ncbi_taxonomy.pl for DB2

Florian Mittag florian.mittag at uni-tuebingen.de
Fri Jul 10 12:32:42 UTC 2009

Hi everyone!

I just completed and tested the changes we've made on the
load_ncbi_taxonomy.pl script from BioSQL 1.0.1.

Basically, only 3 changes were necessary, but some things have to be
considered when running the script:

1) Although DB2 v9.7 supports TRUNCATE TABLE, when I specify
the --allow_truncate option the script gave me the error SQL0428N "The SQL
statement is only allowed as the first statement in a unit of work."
(https://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/db2luw/v9r7/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.db2.luw.messages.sql.doc/doc/msql00428n.html)

My solution is to just not set allow_truncate, so the script will use a DELETE
command.

2) Specifying hostname and port will lead to an error saying that the database
wasn't found. Searching the web I found information suggesting that you have
to add a remote database to the catalog (or something) on the server and the
client and then you are able to point to the database through its name.

My solution is to run the script on the machine where the DB2 instance is
running and everything is fine.

I've run into some other problems before, but those were mostly caused by me
forgetting to set the right environment variables, so that shouldn't be a
problem for someone who actually knows something about DB2 ;-)

I hope this helps. As for the database schema for DB2, we have scripts to
create the database with all its tables and constraints, but as you might see
from my other posts here, we're not completely done and have to do more
tests.

Now, I'm awaiting your feedback ;-)

Regards,
  Florian