[BioSQL-l] Problems in DB2 with VARCHAR, TEXT and CLOB using BioJava

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at gmx.net
Sat Jul 11 11:47:34 UTC 2009

Hi Florian:

On Jul 9, 2009, at 11:16 AM, Florian Mittag wrote:

> [...]
> 2) Change the data type to something comparable with "=", like
> VARCHAR.

That's the way to go. The reason they are not VARCHAR in MySQL is
because it is limited to 256 characters there.

> [...]
> Although VARCHARs in DB2 can have a length of theoretically 32767,
> in reality
> they are limited by the page size of the database, which can be 32K at
> maximum. Since this particular table "reference" has three columns
> of this
> type, the sum of their lengths must not exceed 32767, so they could
> only be
> something like VARCHAR(10000).

That sounds great though. You may have noticed that the columns are
all of type VARCHAR in the Oracle version of the schema with the
following widths:

        Title                VARCHAR2(1000)
        Authors              VARCHAR2(4000)
        Location             VARCHAR2(512)

That has always served me well. Feel free to use larger widths though
if you think you need them.