[BioSQL-l] What should source_term_id in table seqfeature refer to?

Florian Mittag florian.mittag at uni-tuebingen.de
Tue Aug 11 08:10:12 UTC 2009

Hi!

I stumbled upon an old post from Hilmar:

On Tue, 18 Mar 2003, Hilmar Lapp wrote:
> type_term_id is supposed to reference an SO term. source is supposed to
> denote the 'method'  (BLAST, BLAT, sim4, genewise, whatnot), as far as
> my understanding goes. In the case of reading the features from a
> GenBank feature table, assigning 'Genbank/EMBL/Swissprot' as the source
> (which is what the genbank, embl, and swissprot parsers do in bioperl)
> is maybe stretching the definition, but I don't have something
> substantially better to offer.

I inspected the database after I imported some Genbank files with BioJava, and
I found that the source_term_id for the seqfeatures is always set to the ID
of an automatically inserted term "Genbank" with definition "auto-generated
by biojavax".

I was wondering if there is anything new to the source_term_id.

- Florian