[BioSQL-l] case sensitivity in biosql accessions under BioJavax/Hibernate

James Procter jimp at compbio.dundee.ac.uk
Thu Dec 4 12:41:27 UTC 2008

Richard Holland wrote:
> I'm the maintainer for BJX so you can post patches to me.
ah - {bows} - sorry - should've realised that.

> However, I agree that a consensus needs to be reached on how to store
> this data amongst the various projects. There's no point one fixing it
> one way and another fixing it the other. This is, from my point of view,
> the main problem with having something like BioSQL defined as a schema
> rather than as an API that can include defined behaviour (business
> logic) as well as database structure (the Oracle version for instance
> would expose a public set of PL/SQL stored procedures and projects would
> then interact solely via those).
yes. I was hoping there were at least some additional notes on how the
entities were further restricted which might inform us about this.
Perhaps that might be something to be considered for the next BioSQL
release.

> Also, BioJava itself may not be case-insensitive (can't remember how I
> coded it now...) so would need changes throughout to things like
> equals() methods as well (this has implications going back into the
> original code as well as the BJX extensions which build on that).
eeks - that could definitely get hairy and almost certainly have some
additional side effects. But, I think that it might be possible to
introduce the change cleanly so whenever a biosql backed object was
being worked with, case sensitivity would apply. Is case sensitivity
covered in the biojavax unit tests ?

thanks for all your input on this!
Jim