[BioSQL-l] case sensitivity in biosql accessions under BioJavax/Hibernate

Richard Holland holland at eaglegenomics.com
Thu Dec 4 12:27:03 UTC 2008

I'm the maintainer for BJX so you can post patches to me.

However, I agree that a consensus needs to be reached on how to store
this data amongst the various projects. There's no point one fixing it
one way and another fixing it the other. This is, from my point of view,
the main problem with having something like BioSQL defined as a schema
rather than as an API that can include defined behaviour (business
logic) as well as database structure (the Oracle version for instance
would expose a public set of PL/SQL stored procedures and projects would
then interact solely via those).

Also, BioJava itself may not be case-insensitive (can't remember how I
coded it now...) so would need changes throughout to things like
equals() methods as well (this has implications going back into the
original code as well as the BJX extensions which build on that).

cheers,
Richard

--
Richard Holland, BSc MBCS