[BioSQL-l] namespace and find_by_unique_key

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at gnf.org
Fri May 7 04:03:27 EDT 2004

On Friday, May 7, 2004, at 12:50  AM, Marc Logghe wrote:

> Some more experiments. Two namespaces WormGene and WormPep. Request
> for 'ZK822.4'.
> 1) namespace set to 'sprot_hum' => error because 2 rows found (ZK8224
> is in both namespaces)

Probably because sprot_hum does not exist as a namespace in your
database. Or does it?

> 2) namesace undef => error because 2 rows found (ZK8224 is in both
> namespaces)
> 3) namespace 'WormGene' => correct bioentry fetched
> 4) namespace 'WormPep' => correct bioentry fetched
> Does this mean that when the namespace is undef or does not exist the
> system performs a cross-namespace search ?

Yes, that's what I said.

You can convince me that this is bad if the namespace is set but fails
to be looked up (because it's not in the database). I guess my original
intent was to be graceful with typing errors, but you have a case where
this behavior clearly doesn't sound very helpful.

Do you suggest to change this such that if the namespace is defined in
the query sequence but is not in the database the unique key query
should not find anything?

Hilmar Lapp                            email: lapp at gnf.org