[BioSQL-l] Re: MORE Oracle BioSQL & BioJava problems

Michael Griffith mg at base-pair.com
Tue Aug 10 16:29:03 EDT 2004

Hi Hilmar,

The DB target is Oracle 9i (9.2.0.4) running on SUSE Linux 9x.

I do believe the problem occurs on sequences that are > 4000 chars.

The offending Java code appears to be:

PreparedStatement create_biosequence = conn.prepareStatement("insert into
biosequence " + "(bioentry_id, version, length, seq, alphabet) " + "values
(?, ?, ?, ?, ?)");

String seqstr = seqToke.tokenizeSymbolList(seq);
create_biosequence.setCharacterStream(4, new StringReader(seqstr),
seqstr.length());

In all Java/Oracle applications we've developed, we've always inserted an
empty_clob(), and then updated the clob separately using the record locator.

I am a little apprehensive to hack the Opensource code, just because I want
to stay in sync with the BioJava releases...

Has anyone else using BioJava/BioSQL in Oracle run into this problem?

Thanks in advance!

MG