[BioSQL-l] synonyms for ontology terms

Matthew Pocock matthew_pocock at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Mar 18 16:06:18 EST 2003

I'm not currently writing a BioSQL implementation, so I guess that makes
my view partialy moot. My position is that relationships between terms
shold be held in the ontology. There's nothing to stop us annotating the
synonym relation with info itself e.g. synonym _isa_ identity_relation.
At that point, a lot of the special case code will go away. You could
ask for the transient closure of a,b over (union _isa_,
identity_relation) to search if a _isa_ b taking into account all synonyms.

Re anonymous classes: I think some ontologies that are used as glorified
dictionaries/lexicons/thesauruses flag all terms as to wether they are
human-consumable or not - so you can add in as many 'plumbing' concepts
as you need to make the ontology reasonable (all puns intended) without
a user needing to see things that are inherently not for human
consumption. By anonymous classes, do you mean terms that have no sane
name (e.g. union isa, identity), or something else?

--
BioJava Consulting LTD - Support and training for BioJava
http://www.biojava.co.uk